Here we are almost three months into the new year and I still have a backlog of cooking magazines from last year that have gone unread. Turning the clocks forward 1 hour was all the encouragement I needed to catch up on what I was missing.
As it turns out…I missed some good stuff! Like this quinoa crusted spinach quiche. It is low calorie (less than 290 calories for 1/4 of the quiche!), gluten free, high in protein & fiber and low in saturated fat. The recipe is from Cooking Light, December 2014.
A couple of years ago, in an effort to achieve a healthier lifestyle and lose some weight, I began to eat more spinach. I ate spinach just about every day. Sometimes I added fresh spinach to scrambled eggs. Sometimes I ate it as a salad. Sometimes to a stir fry or lasagna. I know spinach alone won’t change everything, but it really helped my mind set.
Somewhere down the line, I lost that “spinach a day” motto. I’m trying to get back to those days. This quiche happens to be an excellent stepping stone. I have a lot less quilt having a cupcake if I know I’ve had my spinach first!
To answer the age old question…”Do real men eat quiche?” YES! Even my meat loving hubby ate it…loved it…and was shocked it was a quinoa crust. His comments included, “Wow, it’s not dry at all!” and “Mmm…love the bit of heat!”. Turns out, he doesn’t care for dry quiche (pastry crust, perhaps) and he likes things spicy (thanks, red pepper flakes).
Initially, when making this quiche, I thought it would be my lunch for four days. Not so. It turns out I had to share! Glenn enjoyed it just as much as I did. Hope you enjoy this healthy and delicious meal too.
Quinoa Crusted Spinach Quiche
For the Crust:
2 cups cooked quinoa, chilled (prepared according to package directions; best prepared previous day)
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 large egg, beaten
For the Filling:
1 teaspoon canola oil
1/2 onion, thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
1 (5-ounce) bag baby spinach
1/2 cup low-fat milk (I used 1%)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
4 large eggs
2 large egg whites
1½ ounces feta cheese, crumbled
1. For the crust, preheat oven to 375°.
2. Combine quinoa, pepper, and egg in a bowl; stir well. Press mixture into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes; cool.
3. For the filling, heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the oil and sliced onion; sauté 3 minutes. Add the spinach; sauté 3 minutes. Remove from heat; set aside and cool.
4. Combine the milk, salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, eggs and egg whites in a bowl; whisk well. Arrange the spinach and onion mixture in the somewhat cooled crust; pour the egg mixture over the spinach. Sprinkle the top with the feta cheese.
5. Bake at 375°F for 35 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes; cut into 4 wedges.
Recipe via Cooking Light, Dec2014